Friday, March 4, 2011

A Mother and her Wisdom will soon be imParted.... (part I)

Here's how this blog is gonna break down:
#1. The last month
#2. The last week
#3. The imParting of all of the "Vendor Wisdom" I have come across, Part I

#1. The Last Month:
No blog for a month?!?!? How could this be? Everyone keeps asking why I haven't posted a blog. Well the truth is, I took a month off. Not in ALL area's of life, just wedding stuff. We went nuts the first few weeks, got TONS done, so after the engagement and bridal pictures we decided (and by we I mean I) to go on "mental wedding vacation". It was intended to be about a 3 week vacation. It turned into an extra week because several (and by several I mean one) obstacles (and by obstacles I mean Amber) got in my way. Let me explain...

My daughter is in love with Mitch. Since they are getting married this is a good thing. Unfortunately this love has caused a very unfortunate side-effect: her brain turned off, went on vacation or went into hibernation mode. The next step we needed to tackle was the invitations, but I could not move forward without sitting down with her and getting some input and direction. Finding a time when Amber could sit down with me took over a week - I'm really not lying - it took over one week! Between Amber being in love in the morning, THEN being in love in both the afternoon AND evening just made it more complicated than I thought it would be. I will cut her some slack since she is working two different jobs AT THE SAME TIME as being in love (I don't know how she does it!!!!) :)

Amber finally had her brain come visit us for a brief time and it was just enough to get the information needed, decisions made and accomplish something. YEAH! As of last night, the invitations are at the printers!! I should get a proof later today, or on Monday. This makes me smile :)

In Amber's defense, she is really cute and that does make up a lot for taking too long to sit down with her mom and get invitations done.

#2. The Last Week:
WOW! Worst week of wedding planning yet!!! It wouldn't be for everyone, but it was for me. Once again, let me explain...

All we really have left is invitations (ordering, addressing, stamping, stuffing, mailing) and decorations. On the decorations we just need to get a little more info on some things, and on other things just make that final "let's do THAT one" and then order, borrow or make it. To get those final bits of info before making decisions, I was on the internet a LOT this week looking around at pricing, reviews, etc. (stay tuned: my leg work on all that will start to be revealed in #3). What drove me crazy is that I was busy with this ALL WEEK - but then I didn't make any final decisions on anything! It made me feel like I was spinning my wheels all week. Here is an example: One of Amber's colors is a really hard to name blue. We want some blue bows. Found a place online that I like, good reviews (well... I'll address this in #3 too), etc. BUT they have several different blues that COULD work, but you can't really tell the true color of something from your computer screen. So what did I do?

I just stared at the computer for two days thinking that if I looked long enough I would start to instinctively know if their Turquoise had more green than blue, or blue than green. I did get opinions from friends. Then I stared at the computer again. Then I ordered sample packets of colors so I can see them in living color before buying the stuff. What should I have done? JUST ORDER THE SAMPLE PACKETS FIRST!! Sometimes I think I'm just a freak about things. Even though I have tons of time, I just wanted the thrill of ordering something and calling it "done" and so I didn't want to wait for the sample packets to come before I decided. Stupid, I know. I have the patience of a 3 year old sometimes.

That is the perfect example of what my week was like. I actually did THE EXACT SAME THING with paper lanterns. When I couldn't take staring at the bows anymore I would switch to the lanterns. It went back and forth several times. Well... the samples are on their way and I feel 42 years old again instead of 3.

The side effect of my week is that my house gone to pot. My little cleaning elves never came in the middle of the night to clean up my messes! Okay, they have NEVER shown up, but a girl can keep dreaming.

As I mentioned earlier, the week wasn't completely void of unfinished tasks. We did get the invitations designed and ordered. That finally fulfilled my appetite for checking off at least one "done" box on my list.

#3. The imParting (get the pun? my blog is always about me "Parting" with something, now it's "imParting"... I thought it was cleaver) of all of the "Vendor Wisdom" I have come across, Part I

Things I have been asked to specifically address are:
  • Where are you finding the best deals?
  • How did you pick __________ (insert: linens, flowers, photographer, cake decorator, venue, etc.)
  • Where are you finding the best deals?
  • How do you keep organized?
  • Where are you finding the best deals?(sensing a trend about best deals? By far my most asked question)
I'll eventually get to all of these, but this blog has already gone on for quite awhile, so I will just cover one area in this blog, and then do another blog with the other stuff in it.

Do you remember years ago when Oprah said she was never going to eat another hamburger for the rest of her life after viewing some video about the beef industry? Well, if you didn't, here is the rundown: Stock prices for beef plummeted!! It caused such a crisis for that industry that beef owners in Texas got together and SUED Oprah for slander! I know, I know - It sounds like something I would make up - but this really happened. If you don't believe me, go google it. It went to trial and everything. Luckily she was not found guilty, which is why we are still able have the Oprah book club on TV instead of from cell block 23.... (side note: it was during this trial that she met Dr. Phil)....

I am about to do to the local linen rental industry what Oprah did to the beef owners! Will it cause local linen rental stocks to plumit? Hope not. Will it possibly offend a local business owner? Possibly. Will it save someone else a little bit of stress and money when they are planning a wedding, or other event? Hope so.

Linens:
This can get pricey. REAL pricey.
The first thing I checked on was the 120" round (will cover a 5' rd table and hang to the floor) blk/wh demask (some call it flocking) tablecloth. The demask pattern is in this picture, but it is the overlay, not the tablecloth. (This is in case you didn't know what it looked like. Before I started asking around I always refereed to it as "the one table cloth that is black and white and there is a pattern on it like a... not swirls, but... kind of like a..." and then I trailed off). Forevermore Events in St. George will rent you a demask 120" round tablecloth for $27.95. If you go online you can BUY them cheaper and then you'll OWN them. Go to ebay right now and you'll find 10 of them for $23.49 each. I think that is a way better deal. Is it better quality? (To be addressed in a few paragraphs)

The next thing I checked was the same size tablecloth in plain black or plain white. At Forevermore Events either color rents for $12.95. At linentablecloth.com I can buy that same cloth for $11.15. Again, I would then OWN them to use at my other daughters reception, my boys date-dance dinners at my house, possible open houses for my sons, etc.

For me, the demask was SO much more that I decided it was not worth the extra cost. I am going with white rounds and colored runners.

Now we'll talk runners. It's the same thing as the linens. JUST BUY THEM! Forevermore Events rents them for $4.95. The most expensive ones I found at the sites I was looking at were $4.29 with most being under $2.99. Quality? (just give me a few more paragraphs)

No different with chair sashes. Forevermore Events rents chair sashes for $1.99-$3.00. $1.99 was the MOST expensive I found on line, with most being under $1.50.

As far as chair covers, I know that I thought the price was so silly from Forevermore Events that I didn't even write it down in my Bible (our name for the binder that holds "all-things-wedding").

I feel like I have been slamming Forevermore Events. Let me point out a few things before I show my spreadsheet and wrap this blog up:

I know people that have used Forevermore Events and had a GREAT experience. I am not saying they are bad in any way. You walk in and say I want that, that, that, and that. You walk out and they do the rest. For what they do, it's great. I AM saying that if you are looking for a way to make the wedding budget stretch the furthest, I think there are better ways.

NOW I will talk about reviews, quality & your own personal effort:

Reviews: Beware - some sites have ONLY positive reviews. They also say you can earn "points" (good for a few cents off your purchase) if you submit a review on a product that gets approved. This lets me know they filter the reviews and so they are tainted. My point is: don't ALWAYS trust reviews.

Quality: I don't know how good the quality is on any of the stuff from online. How good does it have to be if it is going to sit there for two hours while people have a little refreshment and a drink? Everyone has their own opinion on that. My suggestion is to do what I have done: just order 1 of something, or a sample pack. Just do it when you START looking, not after two days of computer staring and your house going to pot :)

Personal Effort: If you rent the linens they will press them and clean them. You don't have to do it, or store them after. If that is a big deal to you then you will not save money, but you will save time and space in your storage room.

Before I show you my spreadsheet on price comparisons in linens, two things: #1. Many of these sites also sell ribbons and bolts of material that match, and #2, does anyone know a good lawyer in case the owner of Forevermore Events reads this blog! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Nicole... I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'm just going to hire you when my girls get married...

    ReplyDelete