Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Mother and her Online Order will soon be parted...

Or, more appropriately named: KAYLEE IS TRYING SABOTAGE THIS WEDDING!!!!

I know it sounds dramatic, but it's true. Let me explain...

I wanted to buy some chair covers for the wedding reception. I did LOTS of checking around, ordered a sample or two, found the kind that works the best over the chairs we are using. Since the wedding was still several weeks away, I didn't JUMP on ordering them, I just bookmarked on my computer the website and figured I'd get to it in the next week. When I went to place the order they were out of stock! Bummer. I called them and they said that they would have them back in stock in a week or so. I wasn't that worried, but...

This led me to check their website no less than 10 times a day to see if they were back in stock (obsessive? probably - but I would only do it when I was already at the computer doing other things). After a week or so, I got online. I saw they were in stock. I started the order. I was to the part where I put in my shipping address when..... (dramatic drum roll...) KAYLEE logs onto her Skype account and I get the "hello, Mommy. Are you there?" window popping up in the bottom right hand corner of my computer monitor.

How can I pass up the chance to chat with her? I LOVE my daughter (or at least I used to before I realized that she was trying to sabotage the wedding!). A little bit later I finished my talk with Kaylee. I returned to my order, but something was wrong. It was not letting me process the order. What could be wrong??? This is what I found: While I was talking to my daughter, they ran out of stock AGAIN!!!

At first I was not suspicious of Kaylee. I thought it a mere coincidence. I called the company again. They now said they didn't know when they would get them in, but hopefully it would be within the next week or so.

Flash forward a few days. Checking the website has become even MORE of an obsession. Then I remember a lesson I have learned the hard way: if there are shoes at Ross that you like - Just get them! Don't wait! They may not be there the next time you go back! This applies because I realized that there was something else I wanted to order from the same website and it WAS in stock. I decided I might as well order it now.

I went to the computer, I put my item in the "shopping cart". Just as I clicked the "check out" button I got the all-to-familiar window popping up in the bottom right hand corner of my computer monitor: "Mommy! Are you there?" It was Kaylee again.

Remember, I'm not suspicious yet about the reality that Kaylee is trying to ruin this wedding (or at least the reception). Once again, I stopped what I was doing and chatted with Kaylee for a bit. When I was done I went back to my order and..... I PROMISE I am NOT making this up.... the item I had placed in my shopping cart was NOW OUT OF STOCK!!

I then put the pieces together and realized that Kaylee was a force to be reckoned with. She had always SEEMED so sweet before. Always APPEARED to be so supportive and happy for Amber. Now she had shown her cards and IT... WAS... WAR!!

I called customer service for the website and they said: "they are on a boat coming from China and we don't know for sure when they will get here, but it will be by April 30th".... Are we remembering here that the reception is on April 23rd?!?!?

When I "chatted" with Kaylee (we mostly instant message on Skype), her response was (and this is a direct quote): MAWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! I believe this statement would be admissible in court and cause any jury to deliver a GUILTY verdict!!

I went back to other websites with the same item two items, but it was SO much more expensive anywhere else. I was bummed at the thought of paying more when it was less expensive elsewhere. At this point I still had many weeks where I can wait, so I decided to just give it a little bit of time to see what happened.

About 5 days later I was on the computer working on something else. I was in a HUGE hurry and so when the "Mommy, are you there" popped up in the lower right hand corner of my computer monitor, I had to ignore it for a moment. As I kept working I was laughing to myself thinking wouldn't that be funny if the chair covers and sashes were in stock right now, but if I were to talk to Kaylee they would have disappeared by the time I was done talking with her? Solely for the purpose of amusing myself, I checked the website. THEY WERE IN STOCK!!! My fingers flew across the keyboard. I have never typed in my shipping address so fast. If typing were an Olympic sport, in this one moment I would have pulled in a Gold Medal!! When I hit the "submit" button sweat was pouring down my face like I'd run a marathon and my heart rate was in the low 200's!....

okay, that was an exaggeration for the purpose of dramatic affect. I really would have won the gold medal, but there was no sweat and my heart rate couldn't have been over 180!

After I finished my order, for some reason I went back to the website and.... wait for it..... THEY WERE OUT OF STOCK AGAIN!! Yes. It is true. I did not make this up! I had gotten the last of them. I started laughing at the thought that if I would have talked to Kaylee I really would have missed out again.

I jumped on Skype to see if she was still there so we could laugh about it together. I found her there and when I informed her that she was unable to sabotage the reception she answered (again, a direct quote): BLAST!!!!

The reality was that, the morning before I reread my Wedding Motto (see bottom of first post) that i had posted on my bathroom mirror and realized that: chair covers or no chair covers did not matter. I was going to keep it in perspective and not stressed over such a silly thing. Then, ironically, the next day I was able to get them.

Now for those of you coming to the reception, don't hold your breath over the anticipation of seeing these chair covers that have caused such a fuss. They are just white. There is nothing special about them other than they are slightly prettier than the chairs they are covering.

Here is my Note To Future Self Planning Kaylee's Reception (or anyone else reading this who has a reception to plan): February is Chinese New Year and the whole country shuts down for an entire month!! That means that businesses selling things made in China (that would be most on-line wedding stuff) will run out of stock and then take awhile getting things back in stock in the early spring months. If you find something and you know you want it, just get it. Don't wait. Otherwise you will do what Kyle and I have done over many pairs of shoes at Ross: "Dang! Why did I wait? I knew there was a chance they would not be there when I came back!"

As far as Kaylee goes, she has succumbed to the fact that she can not ruin this reception!! Okay, okay. Kaylee was never really trying to sabotage the reception. That was just some fun that we were all having with it!.....

or was it?..........


P.S. For those that don't know Kaylee - really, it was just something we had fun joking about. A girl who is happier for her sister you will have a hard time finding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment