Friday, January 28, 2011

A Mother and her Tunnel Vision will soon be parted

13/85 (days of engagement/days till wedding)

I am my own worst enemy.

I love a creative or organizational "project": do a play, organize a closet, build a spreadsheet, edit a little family film, etc. They spark my creativity and I love that! But since there "must needs be opposition in all things", my fun projects (like planning a wedding reception) have a down side too. I get really, really bad tunnel vision. I have so much fun with it that I ignore everything else around me. Let's get real - kick one of the three things off this list of things to do: 1. Help my daughter pick out her wedding bouquet, 2. Map out a calendar of when things need to get done for "all things wedding", or 3. cooking and cleaning. No contest. THREE IS GONE!! It's no fun at all. I think laundry is annoying even when there aren't other fun things to do!

Yes, the last two weeks have been SO fun - but my house is slowly falling apart. I also find myself wanting to not hassle with dinner either. Just about every night I am wishing we would go out for food so I don't have to cook. I'm fine with In-n-Out, Panda Express, Pizza (can you tell why I'm not getting a size 6 dress for this wedding).

Anyway, the wedding planing itself has not been stressful at all (with the exception of a few hours figuring out some scheduling issues for pictures with the groom in Idaho and the Bride in St. George), but the state of my house because of my neglect of it is starting to really grade on my deep level nerves. It's also starting to work on my deep level guilt! Unless I do something about it, it will continue to fester and irritate me until, about 3 days from now, I will all of the sudden be super agitated, tense and grumpy. I know myself well enough that I really can time it that well.

Problem #1: I don't WANT to stop doing the "fun" for the "boring and mundane". It's my own personal weakness. I am like the kid that pitches a fit when mom calls them in from playing with their friends because they didn't do their chores. Problem #2: I AM the mom. How does the mom call herself in from the fun? When it comes to stuff like this I have never been a very good at listening to my inner mom.

Bottom line: I don't WANT to do house work, but if I don't I will end up grumpy and stressed...... ** sigh **...... Okay, I am going to try and get rid of my Tunnel Vision today and get some cleaning done....... so boring and not fun .........

On the UP side, Kyle did just purchase our plane tickets to Texas for the open house. We are going a few days early to play in San Antonio. Now THAT sounds fun :)

"Mom, do I REALLY have to come inside?..."

3 comments:

  1. I totally remember feeling that way about planning my own wedding, I just wanted to do fun stuff for 3 months and not worry about all that boring stuff in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the yellow in us can wreak havoc!!! Just think to yourself, what would Pam do and all will be well! She's the bomb at this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yes i have had to say "what would pam do" in many situations. but it seems that the yellow side of me is never happy with this answer then i am just conflicted.

    ReplyDelete