Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Mother and her Money will soon be parted...

Countdown: 8/90 (Day since Engagement/Days till Wedding)

Did a LOT of work early last week, then took it easy the last 1/2 of the week. I still did a little bit of searching online for wedding dress stores for us to look in and made some appointments with the caterers and photographers for when Amber gets back, but kept it really low-key the last few days.

For my future self (the one planning Kaylee's wedding), I highly recommend doing that. By "that", I mean taking "Wedding Planning Vacation Days". There are plenty of days to get the "work" done, but if you don't step back and give yourself time to enjoy the ride - what's the point? Someone with my type of personality can easily get so wrapped up in the planning that I get tunnel-vision and forget to savor it while I've got it. I don't want this experience to go by unappreciated. It's a once in a life-time thing with Amber. Even though I have Kaylee, she is a different personality and so the experience with her will be different. I want to make the most of THIS time around.

Since this is the week we are looking at dresses and putting deposits down on things, this upcoming week will mark the start of the money spending. I am trying to keep my mind set on prioritizing and sticking to our budget - but I can tell that will be challenging at times. Sometimes I hate budgets and think they take all the fun out of things!! Let me give you an example of my "Wedding Budget" ways of thinking:

When Kyle and I got married, my parents bought me a new outfit to wear to my Wedding Luncheon. After I had it for a few days, I realized it just wasn't what I wanted so I went and found another dress. Even after I found a hat to go with it, it still ended up being about $30 LESS than the first one. Kyle's response: "Hey! You just saved $30". My response: "Hey! Now I can get new shoes too!!" (and I did)..... I know this gives you all great sympathy for what Kyle was working with when we first got married.... but (probably since I am footing the bill this time) I am hoping to have more of what Kyle had back then.

I just have to remember my "wedding motto" and the heart attack I will surely give my sweet husband if I blow the budget. I am trusting that Kyle and Amber will give me reality checks when I need them.

I was thinking about all the spending that will go down in the next few days and giving myself the "stay on budget" pep-talk when I saw some of our friends, the Dorman's. They have 5 girls ranging in age from probably 10 months to nine years old. I just kept thinking "Save your money, Steve! Save your money!".

Well, here's hoping that I'm smart with ours! (But I'll still probably get Amber a new pair of shoes!)

1 comment:

  1. Here's my thought on wedding budgets. Tell me if I am completely crazy. I think that the couple and both sets of parents should sit down and have a realistic conversation about what is needed, what is wanted, and what each can contribute. Weddings don't seem like justifiable debt, yet they are costly and an important memory/ritual. I don't buy into the idea that one side (female) pays for the bulk of it, and consider that a bit antiquated in this day and age. Nor do I think parents should fully foot the bill if their adult children are working with a "real" income... I am guessing that when Jagger gets married, the new in laws will LOVE my egalitarian philosophies and fully take advantage. When Amaria gets married, however, I am guessing maybe not...? I just wondered what you think?

    ReplyDelete